Thursday, April 19, 2007

Eye Candy Friday: Scenes from my stash...

The other day, I realized that I am Smaug. Instead of curling up at night on a pile of gold and jewels, I curl up on... yarn. Okay, so not exactly, but as my stash resides in bins under my bed, I figure it's close enough.

After thinking about it a bit more, I realize the similarities don't necessarily end there. Like Smaug, I feel a restless urge to acquire more treasure yarn, but yet am a bit reluctant to spend knit it.

I thought that for Eye Candy Friday this week, I would share with you bits and pieces from my stash - some of which I know what I want to do with it, some of which I have no clue.

In the process of taking pictures, I realize that I have a very definite set of likes in terms of colors - cool, dark colors, mostly purples and greens. I wonder if that will change with the seasons?



I have enough of the KnitPicks Swish Superwash (in Jade) that I picked up specifically to make my first sweater - A Cardigan For Arwen, which was initially in Winter 2006 Interweave Knits. I figure having an established KAL will be of great benefit to me.



I have two skeins of this for my second pair of socks. This is Wildfoote from Brown Sheep - a handpainted sock yarn. I haven't knit my first pair of socks yet, but I have some less pretty generic yarn for my first pair. I don't want to use this yarn until I have a better idea of what I should be doing with it :)



I picked up this one skein at a gift store near Castle Stalker just outside Oban in Scotland. This is a "naturally-coloured, dark wool" that is spun from Hebridean sheep from Western Scotland.



I picked up 500g of this in Dublin a couple weeks ago. This is 100% wool, undyed from Donegal sheep. I think I might do a felted project with this (and perhaps the above Hebridean skein as contrast). I'm thinking there's enough there to make a nice bag. Any suggestions?



A few months ago, I was inspired by BlueADT to visit Coldspring Mill. Let's just say I was lucky to escape when I did! I think having Mr. Tall there helped. Coldspring Mill doesn't ONLY sell great yarn - from things they dye there to end-of-the-line things from major yarnmakers. They also sell outdoor gear and clothing (I love the outdoors) AND used books (be still my beating heart!). I found a discount bag containing 8 balls of this gorgeous yarn. I believe that it's Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, as the fibre content is listed as 55% cashmere, 12% merino. I am not sure yet what I plan on doing with it. Thoughts?



Also at Coldspring Mill, I found this. It is 960g of yarn for just under 10 GBP - yes, 1p per 1g!! This was the only info I had on it. Just from looking at it, I would say it's probably DK weight, and given the price, it's a nice soft acrylic :) Again, not sure what I might do with this. I have a few ideas but still deciding for now.

Any pattern suggestions are quite welcome :)

1 Comment:

blueadt said...

I love seeing other people stashes!

You might find that the blue skein at the end is wool - have you tried the burn test on it?

Re felting, make sure you do test swatches & measure them for both yarns as they'll probably felt at different rates.

I daren't show my own stash as DH is the photographer & even though he knows how many huge plastic boxes I have in the loft (6) plus a smaller one on top he'd probably have a fit if I got it out as I've squeezed everything in really well!

|