Wednesday, July 4, 2007

FO: Petunia the Purple Pachyderm


Petunia the Purple Pachyderm


Start Date/Finish Date: May 27 - July 3, 2007
Pattern: "Lovable Toys" from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly DK in lilac (doubled throughout)
Needles: KnitPicks Options 4.0 mm
New-to-me Techniques: Mattress stitch, Kitchener stitch, picking up stitches, provisional (crochet) cast-on, magic loop



My sister-in-law's shower is scheduled for July 14. I think I have this finished in time to get it shipped back to the states. For me, this means it's not quite as last minute as I'm capable of. Go me!

I've heard of people a little less than happy with this pattern. I didn't really have any problems following it, but I also read the directions for finishing and stuffing the elephant, ignored it and did it my own way. I reasoned it would be a lot simpler to sew on ears and arms if the body wasn't stuffed, which it was. Furthermore, the state of un-stuffedness meant that symmetry was a bit easier to accomplish, though it still eluded me to some extent.

At this point, I can't say what I think of the yarn. I bought 4 more balls of this yarn in the pink colorway so that I could make the NIP a sweater, so I'm reserving full judgment until I've worked on that a bit. For the purposes of this project, I felt it was a bit splitty (is that a technical term?). Perhaps it was because I was holding the yarn doubled, perhaps it was just the pointy-ness of my pointy sticks, but we shall see.

Perhaps I've been to the Build-A-Bear workshop one too many times, but I couldn't allow myself to seam up a hand-knitted toy without including a heart.


Petunia's Heart


Ok, stop laughing. That really is a heart. At least, it's as much of a heart as I could try to do on my own without a pattern. Don't you know that knit elephants are supposed to have V shaped hearts?

Now all that is left is to obsessively finish up my Hogwarts Scarves as the movie and book release are fast approaching!

3 Comments:

colleen said...

How adorable!

susoolu said...

Petunia is a paragon of purple perfection!

But what I want to know is, where is your Woolfest report?

Romi said...

OMGosh. That is *SO CUTE*!!!

|