Thursday, June 28, 2007

FO: Book Ravenclaw Scarf

It's been awhile since I've posted a FO here, and for good reason - my needles are madly clicking away trying to finish three Prisoner of Azkaban style Harry Potter scarves. Well... one down, two to go!


Prisoner of Azkaban Book Ravenclaw Scarf


Start/Finish: March 12, 2007 - June 28, 2007
Pattern: Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban Scarf by Lauren Kent
Yarn: KnitPicks Wool of the Andes (100% wool) in Winter Night (11 skeins) and Wheat (2 skeins)
Needles: Addi Turbo 5.0 mm (US8) 40 cm (16 inch) circular needles.
New-to-me techniques: PATIENCE!, three needle bind off.
Important stats: 85 stitches per round and a full set of 14 trapped bar repeats (559 rows) yields 47,515 stitches. This is 8 feet, 10 inches long and ranges from 9.5-10 inches wide.



47,515. Four-seven-five-one-five. Forty-seven THOUSAND five hundred fifteen stitches. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I knit that many stitches. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I've done anything that many times. But, as the only knitter in my household, it must be true.

One would think that working a pattern like this - stockinette in the round - would get boring. I didn't really get tired of it. I would often knit while watching a movie or TV show, listening to an audiobook or podcast, which I think really really helped.

There's not much else to say about something this straight forward. I decided to try a three-needle bind off, which worked quite well, I think. However, the difference in appearance of the two ends is what ultimately lead to my decision to add the fringe.

Initially, I wanted to add the "S" monogram by intarsia or duplicate stitching with the bronze color, but that was not to be as I was lucky to have enough to finished my last set of trapped bars. Instead I purled it in. The benefit to also being a cross-stitcher is the fact that a lot of cross-stitch software will allow you to "type" using any font on your computer and have it display in stitches. I believe the font for this is Copperplate. As I was adding this to the last repeat of the scarf, I decided to add it in "upside down" so it wouldn't seem upside down while wearing the scarf. While I remembered to turn my pattern upside down, I forgot about the fact that I was knitting right to left while reading left to right. Oops! I frogged back and fixed it and am quite pleased with the results.

I think I will have to postpone Part 2 of my ogranization picturepalooza. Tomorrow we're off to the Lake District after work to partake in Woolfest, so I will catch up with that in the upcoming weeks!

1 Comment:

Romi said...

Very cool! I love working stockinette in the round - I don't have to look, so I can watch television or chat. It's my favorite mindless knitting. :)

|