Monday, June 25, 2007

WIP: Blocking!

I am 99.9% done with one of my three Harry Potter PoA-style scarves! This is the first project I've used 100% wool for, and it's the first project I've ever blocked. Originally, I wasn't planning on blocking it, but I wanted to make sure that the crease along the side went where I wanted it to, and I did have a few patches of uneven stitches, so I decided to give it a try...

For blocking, I chose our conservatory - it's one of a few rooms in our house long enough to hold the scarf, and the fact that it can be shut off from the house is a huge advantage as it keeps curious cat paws off the scarf.

I read up what I could about blocking (it seemed fairly straightforward), and nervously dunked my scarf in a bucket of water. My makeshift blocking board is two yoga mats laid end-to-end. The yoga mats are nice in a pinch in that pins stick easily into it, and there is already a bit of a grid pattern. Now that I've used it, though, I think I will take some time to mark off a few pre-set lines at 1/2 inch (or so) intervals.

It took a couple tries to figure out the best way to tackle a soppy, large scarf. As my rounds weren't done with jogless color changes, I really wanted the uneven bit to be on the edge, where the fold is. After a couple failed attempts, I started a couple repeats from one end, pinned a set of trapped bars on the jogged end, and then made sure I had half the stitches showing. From there, I just kept measuring and pinning, measuring and pinning. Mr. Tall came and asked if he should start dinner (no, not done yet!), and when I finished, it was dark outside. This may not mean a lot depending where you are in the world, but here in England, in June, it's not dark until 10:30 p.m. or so. I had spent 2.5 hours blocking!


Blocking scarf - only a couple inches from each end didn't make it into the photo.

This is 106 inches long (8'10") and 9.5-10 inches wide (I gave up on total perfection after awhile!)

I'm not yet calling this a FO - it's still drying (not aided by the weather, unfortunately), and I still need to trim the finge.

I've also been playing with some different layout options for this blog - I may have that up in the next day or so, so check back!

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so darn talented you make me ill. ;) Love ya!

|