Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Article Link

Perhaps it was kismet that I was listening to Bessie Smith's "Whoa, Tillie, Take Your Time" when I stumbled across this article on knitting. Given that the author is a person of faith and I was wading through my to-do list, perhaps it was a divine message.

This list of "faith lessons from knitting" applies to any religious background. For me, the one I always lose sight of is the last one:

8. While finished products are nice - and sometimes very nice - it's realy the process that's the most important. After all, if all you wanted was a sweater, you could have bought one cheaper and a lot faster than knitting one. Living is all about process too, about the working at it, day in and day out. The finished product - the life well lived - is celebrated when we aren't there anymore, at our funeral. Until then, we just keep working at it, one stitch at a time.


I think this is especially nice, because one of the reasons I truly enjoy knitting is how deceptively simple it is, and how relatively untouched it is by technological advances. Really, there is no magic technique we can use to speed up the process of making a sweater or a pair of socks, and still be hand-knitting a garment. We can make socks two at a time on two circular needles, and while this may make the socks go quicker (or at least avoid second-sock syndrome), it doesn't change the fact that they were knit stitch by stitch by stitch.

I think there is a lot about life in general to be learned from knitting, and perhaps the reverse is true.

For now, I wanted to share this article with those who have not yet read it. Are there other lessons you would like to add? Comment and tell me. :)

0 Comments:

|