Thursday, September 20, 2007

Two FO's and some beading

Lately I've been feeling like there's just not enough time for anything - but not in a bad way. I've just been hit with a desire to create, to craft and to learn. I have been good - I haven't started a bunch of projects that now lay unfinished, but we all know that is a very slippery slope, and I'm starting to slide.

Before I sank into the quagmire of starter-itis, I really wanted to finish the Ballerina Wrap Sweater I begun for my neice. As I was working on the 0-3 month size, and she was a large baby, there was really a clock ticking and I didn't want to delay. At last, it is done.


Completed Ballerina Wrap Sweater


Start - End: July 21 - September 20, 2007
Pattern: "Ballerina Wrap Cardigan" from Sublime #600
Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo in Pink
Needles: KnitPicks Options size US7 (4.5 mm)
New-to-me: Making (and sewing up) a sweater!

This was the first sweater I've ever done, and I really think I learned a lot in the process. Granted, most of the stuff I learned came a bit too late to be useful for this sweater, but I know it now and will be able to use it in the future.

While I received a lot of help over the course of finishing this up, I really really have to thank Susoolu for practically holding my hand through the seaming and setting of the sleeves. I reached that part of the pattern in a state of near panic and she really helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. All told, this was an enjoyable process, one I'm glad I did for the first time on the miniature scale. Perhaps I'm ready to make something to get through the cold and rainy English winter.

What are your best tips for sweater making? Best resources, hints, and tips online? Drop me a comment because I would really like to hear them!

Given that it's fall and it's my duty both as an aunt and as a knitter to keep adorable soft baby feet warm, I decided to use some of my leftover edging yarn for a pair of booties.


Mary Jane Booties


These are the same booties I made before, knit up in the Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo. All other details can be found here. Together, the set is really quite cute.


Sweater and Bootie set


One of the projects that I'm really itching to start is some bead knitting. While I still haven't started that yet, I tested the waters this afternoon by making myself a couple of stitch markers.


First stitch markers


I used lobster clasps on them, and I'm not sure if this was a good or bad idea yet. On the one hand, I can use them either as regular stitch markers, or removable ones. On the other hand, they are small enough that they don't fit anything larger than a 4.0 mm needle. Still, it's a start and I can't wait to use them to bring an extra level of luxury to my knitting.


Stitch markers

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made a couple lobster clasp stitch markers. I use them to mark the front of a piece I'm knitting or the start of a round when knitting socks. I've never found a stitch marker to work at the beginning of a round when knitting on dpns or using the magic-loop method. I just clip the marker at the beginning of the round and move it up as I go.
I don't think I could live/knit without these books. I refer to them each time I'm seaming up a sweater. The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques by Nancy M. Wiseman and The Knitting Answer book by Margaret Radcliffe.

Romi said...

What an adorable ensemble for your niece! :)

Linda said...

Such a lucky neice you have. And as one who had both of her granddaughters born while she was out of the country I appreciate how hard it is to get the size correct. They grow so fast.
As for another sweater, you might check out the site www.knittingpureandsimple.com. They have some really great top down sweaters. I love not having to set in sleeves when you finish!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Adorable baby wear! I've got a new great-baby coming in a few months (hopefully we'll find out it's a girl) and that made it to the top of my list for gift giving.

|